Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Humbling

Before I jacked up my knee, I was doing power sets on the leg press with 200 pounds on one leg. At physical therapy this morning I was struggling to move 20 pounds. It was very, very humbling. It's also tough because I'm doing all of this work that I'm going to have to go through again after surgery. I understand that it's part of the process, but it's just difficult to know that I'll be struggling to get my strength and range of motion back again in 6 weeks.

I haven't gained any weight since I stopped skating, but I can see my body shifting shape from lack of exercise. Doughy, I think would be the best descriptor, since before at least I had a frim center surrounded by the dough. I'm going to get to the gym a few days this week to get some workouts in on the bike. It's all I can do for cardio, and I can't have much resistance or stay on very long because of the pain. I can get back to some pilates and upper body work too. Note to self: talk to trainer ASAP.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey sweetie!! Happy holidays and best wishes for a speedy recovery and great New Year!! Have you considered taking up swimming until you can start adding resistance back to your injured leg? Maybe that could be something worth checking into with your doc- it is great cardio, and really tones too. Also, you could take it easy with your legs if the doc wanted too, by modifying some water exercises- for example, there are foam belts you can use to immobilize your legs and just work on your arms, or do 1 leg kicks only...
I wish you best of luck sweetie, and hope that you and your family have had a great Christmas!!

10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home