Saturday, December 02, 2006

C'mom Quad

It's so interesting how a busted knee affects the rest of your leg.

My PT exercises involve re-engaging my quad muscles, which pretty much shut themselves down when you tear your ACL. Because I've taken pilates on and off for a few years, I've gotten pretty good at isolating muscles and engaging them. When I was lying on the PT table, and I couldn't flex my left quad as much as I willed it to move. It was really, really odd. Righty kicked right in and did what I needed it to do. It's really odd to not be able to do a straight leg lift without straining and grabbing onto the table.

I did my full sets of exercises yesterday and my quad is already responding a lot better. I'm feeling stronger when I walk and do my exercises. My leg is still not straigtening all the way. My PT thinks I probably damaged my meniscus as well. They can fix that during the same surgery if need be, but it will make my recovery slightly different and may mean I'll have to do the surgery sooner than later. Walking on a bent knee is causing shearing to my meniscus, which is not such a good idea.

I am learning more about my knee than I have ever planned. Um, yay?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home