Sunday, March 11, 2007

One step back, two steps forward

I know that's backwards, but that's how the order of my weekend went.

Yesterday, the Fresh Meat team put on a mini-bout. We had been broken up into 2 teams. I was on a team, but was pretty much of a non-participant because of the timing of surgery and, um, my inability to skate. It was a very bittersweet evening. The FM skaters did so well. I'm so amazed and proud of how much so many of the girls have improved. They skated incredibly well together and really pulled together as teams.

And I sat on the sideline keeping score. I could have been the den mother and helped out with calling line-ups and such, but I couldn't risk being out in a high-traffic area with my new 10k knee. It was really hard to watch all of the fun, enthusiasm, and teamwork from the sidelines. Frankly, it really sucked. I missed out on a chance to skate in front of a crowd. To experience that team feeling I miss and love from playing sports. But I digress, big whiny babies and derby don't go together. And I really did have fun showing people my scar. And I caught up with a bunch of people I haven't seen in a while and I got a ton of hugs.

On to better news... I had a really good work-out at the gym today. I'm bumping up my weight on the leg press and the hamstring curl. I got back to doing some upper body stuff. Damn, I have lost so much strength in my shoulders and arms. But it felt so good to be lifting again. To feel like a normal girl at the gym who rides the bike and lifts weights and kicks ass. I needed it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home