Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Torn

I have a torn ACL. All the way through. In half. Pop.

I shed some tears when the doc told me. I really had wanted to be tough, but it was a shock when he didn't think any ligament damage had been done when we talked yesterday.

But, I am officially focused on healing now. I start physical therapy as soon as possible. I work my ass off for a month, and go back for a check-up to talk about my options. Surgery is an option. Wearing a brace for sports is an option. The physical therapist told me that "some people change their life to fit their knee and some people change their knee to fit their life". I really don't plan on giving up derby. It will take longer now, but I'll do it.

On a very exciting personal note, I took my first real shower in a week today. I tell you, there is nothing like a hot shower after a week on the couch and some semi-sponge baths. I'm back to work tomorrow too. I'm going to miss hanging out with my dog and watching trash TV, but I'm ready to get back to my life.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, I am really sorry for the not so good news. I know I will be sending you derby vibes so you can heal quickly. If you need anything don't be afraid to ask. I think a visit may be in order!

10:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is still shocking news, but I am so glad that your focus is on getting better! This is just another bump in the road. You'll be on the track soon enough!!

11:59 PM  
Blogger Viva Von said...

OMG!!!! That eff'n sucks!!!!

{{{ hugs }}}

I've had two knee surgeries in the past year because of a torn/frayed meniscus and damaged cartilage (also have to have another one). Effed up knees are NO FUN.

Poor lil' noodle!!!

9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home