Thursday, November 30, 2006

Bittersweet

I went to watch practice last night and I was greeted by the arrival of my new gorgeous custom skates. Wicked 265s, red leather with black stripes, aluminum plates, shearling lined tongue, buttery supple leather, and they fit like a fucking glove. Seriously, the irony was so silly. I couldn't stop shaking my head and laughing. They will be placed on the mantle until I recover. They will be amazing motivation.

It was great to go to practice last night. The support and sympathy from the girls is really amazing. I can't imagine not seeing these people a few times a week.

So, here's what I've learned over the past few days. If I want to do derby, or any sport like it, I will need to have surgery. I've come to terms with that, and it's in my head that it will happen. I'm reading as much as humanly possible about surgery and recovery.

I had my first physical therapy appointment today. I totally dig my PT. He's a friend of my trainer Britt, and from the first moment I knew I was in the right hands. We talked a lot about long term goals, the work I was willing to put in, and recovery time. He'd like to get me back on skates in 4 months and back to derby in 6. I can totally live with that. Totally and completely, and I am so ready to work. I've already done a few sets of my PT exercises that he gave me for this week.

So, here we go. One more bump, well maybe this is more like a giant pothole, in the road. I'll come out on the other end even stronger.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know surgery may not put you out for that long. Guys in the NFL get back out there after ACL surgery in like 6-8 weeks. And I know I may be preaching to the choir, but I have had much physical therapy. You gotta be religious about your exercises. Do not skip any of them. I know you won't cause you are the most disciplined person I know. I'll be cheerin for your swift and painless recovery!

8:42 PM  
Blogger Puss n Boots said...

That is so weird... The day I found out that I had to be out for awhile, my 187 pads came in that I had been waiting forever for. SuSu is right. Don't skip anything. I let myself get down and stressed this week, and missed a couple days of excercises and ice, and now all the hard work I did the week before- wasted. Maybe we can keep each other in line.

4:29 PM  
Blogger Viva Von said...

You can totally do it girl!! I've had friends who are in sports who have had torn ACLs (and surgeries on both of their knees) who have gone back into sports...

YOU CAN DOOOO EEEETTT!!!!

9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home