Tuesday, May 30, 2006

The worst of the best

Note to self: when they ask if you have the basics down, don't raise your hand. You will be put in the advanced group and have your ass whooped by the off-broadway Starlight Express cast. Wow, there were GOOD skaters there. And lots of them.

The March try-outs had 12 skaters total and 2 really good skaters. This pre-tryout workshop had 35 people and 8 really great skaters. Like really, really good. I was blown away. I was the worst of the best. I was struggling to keep up. I was the fat girl falling behind.

But, I guess it's good that I challenged myself in the advanced group. I was EXHAUSTED at the end. The other group was practicing stops and standing around and watching. The advanced group skated in circles. And more circles. And more circles. So I was dying by the end. I was wiped.

There is good news in here. The current roller girls that were there were incredibly nice and encouraging. The Harmicist let me whip her and het me know that she wasn't in amazing shape when she started. GoodyTwoSkates pushed me around the rink when I got tired. Magnet Mad Atom told me that they want people who really want it. And I really want it.

It was a wake-up call. I have a lot of room for improvement. And I will maintain a postive attitude and NOT let this get me down. If I don't make it, there is always next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home